Tuesday, August 29, 2006

Fabulous Weekend...sort of

Well, this weekend was a great weekend for two things, a typical weekend for many things, and not a memorable weekend for one thing.

Let's start with the "not" first and get that out of the way. The "not" is my contractor. I found out on Saturday that he is "not" paying his sub-contractors for work completed at our house. We have paid him, but he seems to be lacking in his bill paying habits, and not passing the money through to them. So, which means we can be held responsible for his lack of paying. When confronted he said he has paid, which after speaking to the AC installers (one of the subcontractors), his statement is completely untrue. Unfortunately for us, we need to either get him to pay or pay the sub-contractors ourselves and sue him for the money. The "between a rock and a hard place" thing is we don't want to piss our contractor off too much, because he still has to finish the work. So both C and I are crossing our fingers and praying every night that it all works out in the end; otherwise, we may be out upwards of an additional $10,000 to pay everyone off and prevent any liens from being attached to our home. Life of home improvement is never dull. One huge lesson we have just learned: Never hire a general contractor, be your own--it's more of a headache for you, but at least you are the only one to blame if you don't pay the sub-contractors.

The typical weekend stuff happened: cleaning and grocery store shopping, which by the way has anyone noticed how expensive food has gotten. WTF??

The good things that happened this weekend is that my friend and I held our first monthly crop at Recollections and ...drum roll please...I got FIVE layouts completed. Two single page layouts and three two page layouts. I am finally getting back into the scrapbooking groove and it feels good.

The other good thing that happened this weekend is that C and I went and played golf and I actually made par on a par 4 hole. Meaning that the rules say you must make it from tee to hole in four shots or less, and I did it!! Only on one hole, but still it was my first par 4!! Mind you, I typically shoot a 6 or 7 on a par 4.

...and that's it for a weekend. I am hoping next weekend isn't that "not" exciting.

2 comments:

KatBliss said...

Hi, I'm a friend of Carrie's and linked from her blog here. My husband is a contractor and I thought you could use a little advice about the non-payment stuff. Have your contractor get a lien release from each sub he uses when they are paid.. you should also get a seperate lien release from your general each time you pay him.

You can email me me at katblissathotmail.com if you would like me to email you the form. Doesn't hurt for you to have it all filled out and just have him sign it each time you pay him a draw!

A good contractor will provide all of this without you asking...

Hope this helps. Good luck.

KatBliss said...

Oh ya, you can also write your checks to both the sub and the general.